When visiting the Florida Keys what sorts of FOOD will you find? Aside from some very special restaurants at the high end and eateries at the low end, there are some foods that are constants of Southern Florida. Some of them are conch, key lime pie, alligator, all sorts of seafood, “floribbean” cuisine and exotic juices.
According to foodreference.com, Conch (pronounced ‘konk’) is a common name for certain large marine snails.They are gastropod mollusks, the most commercially important of which are in the family Strombidae. The specific species most commonly used for food is the queen conch, or pink-lipped conch, Strombus gigas, which can be found in warm waters of the Atlantic and the Caribbean from Florida to Brazil.
The shell and “conch” is so common in the Florida Keys that the local name a style of house specific to the region after them.
- 4 large diced tomatoes
- 1 medium diced onion
- 6 small minced green onions
- 2 cloves of fresh minced garlic
- 2 stalks diced celery
- 2 large diced carrots
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 medium diced potato
- 6-8 sprigs of chopped parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh tyme
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 (16-ounce) can clam juice
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice (or to flavor)
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 pound cleaned and chopped conch meat
- 3 slices of crisp bacon
- 1/4 cup of white wine
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- salt and pepper to taste
For some additional heat and Spice, try the following:
1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes, or Cayenne pepper to taste, 1 jalapeno or habanero pepper, seeded and diced!
- In a large pot or stock pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until browned approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the bacon and leave the grease.
- Using a piece of cheesecloth, capture the allspice, bay leaves, and thyme. Tie cheesecloth closed with string.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, parsley, and bell peppers and cook over medium-high heat until soft, 4-5 minutes. (stirring occasionally)
- Now add the hot pepper and garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add the clam juice, the water, the potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Put in the cheesecloth with spices, reduce the heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Combine the conch with the other ingredients and cook until the meat is tender, about another 20 to 25 minutes minutes.
- Remove pot from the heat and discard the cheesecloth with spices.
- Add the lime juice and parsley, stir to combine, and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve hot!
Pairing: Excellent with ice tea or a few cold Kaliks!
it is made from a local lime, thus the name “key” lime pie.
Dying to try some Alligator? Does it really taste like chicken? Well, you can answer those questions while in the Keys. There are a few places to try it in the Florida Keys. One such restaurant is Lazy Days Restaurant in Islamorada. “…They have alligator bites, cracked conch and other island favorites”
If alligator isn’t quite your thing, fresh fish and seafood is the local speciality. Seafood is fresh everyday. Keys Fisheries is one restaurant in the Keys which prides itself on fresh seafood daily and specializes in local catch
“Floribbean” cuisine is a combination of Bahamian and Southern Florida food… In the Keys, Marker 39, specializes in Floribbean Cuisine Marker 39 Floribbean fusion inspired cuisine is served in an old Florida setting with an innovative selection of food, wine & craft beer. Our food is Modern Florida Fusion Cuisine with Caribbean and Latin American inspiration. Enjoy indoor or outdoor patio dining Key West style amidst canopies of tropical foliage under the sail shades and majestic oaks of our outdoor deck, or cool down with a glass of wine or craft beer in our bistro dining room & classic Florida style wine bar adorned with improvised local art and nautical decor. Located in historic downtown Safety Harbor, Marker 39 has quickly become a favorite in the growing Safety Harbor restaurant scene. Open for dinner Wednesday-Saturday 5 to 10. Sunday brunch 11-4. Closed Mondays & Tuesdays.
Finally, exotic juices are found everywhere in the Keys. It’s so hot that Key Lime lemonade or other unusual juices can be found almost at every stop…or, if you wan tsomething more…. we used to call them Tiki lounges. Check out the “juice” menu list at Tiki bar drinks
And While You Are In The Keys:
KEYS CARIBBEAN LUXURY RESORT VILLAS & MARINAS
Whether you contemplate visiting the Keys for vacation or some of the many fishing and cultural activities going on all year around-Anytime you are in the Keys: Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall…… STAY WITH KeysCaribbean Luxury Resort Villas & Marinas IN OUR AMAZING PROPERTIES THROUGHOUT THE KEYS-
You will be glad you did…
In The Upper Keys:
In Key Largo and Islamorada, where KeysCaribbean Luxury Resort Villas and Marinas has the exclusive location -Mariners Resort Villas & Marinas
In The Middle Keys:
In the Middle Keys, KeysCaribbean Luxury Resort Villas and Marinas has the Village at Hawks Cay Villas on Duck Key, Indigo Reef Resort Villas & Marina and the Coral Lagoon Resort Villas & Marina vacation rentals in Marathon
In The Lower Keys:
In the Lower Keys, KeysCaribbean Luxury Resort Villas and Marinas has the Coral Hammock Resort Villas and Kings Point Marina & Condominiums vacation rentals